The 4-1-1

So....you volunteered. Now what? You search the web aimlessly...okay, frantically, for that perfect something to show your child (and the world) how special they are. Send in ordinary cupcakes- out of the question. Store bought - never! But, you also don't want to repeat what the last mother did...no matter how fantastic.

You have just entered the mind-set of the "ROCKSTAR" parent.

Pretty soon, mothers and fathers will be saying "How did you do that?" and "That's so cool!" or "Mmmmm, delicious! I MUST have the recipe!" Before you know it, you will be called upon so regulary for contribution that you will almost hear the crowd cheering and see your name in lights!

That's exactly what my road to stardom was like. But, it didn't end at kid functions. Nope. My family and friends noticed the extra-special attention I gave to gatherings. Whether it was a weekend at the lake or Thanksgiving dinner, there was always something extraordinary to make my loved ones feel exactly that~ loved. So, my input is regularly given and I love it!

Within this blog you will hear just about everything; including successes AND failures. (Afterall, you don't have to be perfect to ROCK!!) Favorite recipes, party ideas, ways to save time and $$$ - you name it. A lot of things are pulled from the Ultimate Resource Guide (aka "the www"); but, others are my own tricks. The beauty is that it's all right here.

Are you ready to ROCK??


Search This Blog

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Lunch Lady Land

We have all been super busy with back-to-school: PTO, fundraisers, supply shopping, etc.  Since my oldest had 1/2 day kindergarten last year, First grade means more than bus rides, homework, and a larger bookbag; it means school lunch. 

It took me less than a week to figure out I needed a plan when it came to lunch.  Being a new SAHM, $2.25 was not going to happen on a daily basis.  (I don't know about you, but the more money I save means the longer I get to stay home with my kids.  It's all about job security!)  This is what I learned the first week.  1) Don't ever ask the open ended question: "What do you want to pack for lunch?"  without having your cupboards stocked with every food imaginable.   And, 2)  If you ask that question be prepared to hear a string of junky, sugary snacks come out of your child's mouth.

Here's my solution.


I made 4 columns
  • Main
  • Fruit
  • Veggie
  • Dessert
I sat down with Allie and we talked about her favorite things for lunch. Under each column, we listed 5 selections.  For example, under "Main" the choices are PB&J, Meat/Cheese/Crackers, Bologna Sandwich, Boiled Eggs, or Bagel and Cream Cheese.

Each evening she selects one item from each column and we pack her lunch, so it's ready to go the next morning. 

This is really a simple concept, but it saves time, money, and energy!  ROCK on!